COMPUTER STUDY CURRICULUM CRITIQUE
BASED ON SECONDARY SCHOOLS.
Computer science or computing science also known as computer study designates the scientific and mathematical approach in computing. we took a review of a secondary school curriculum in order to find a detail approach to the subject matter. In formal education, a curriculum is the set of courses, and their content, offered at a school or university. As an idea, curriculum stems from the Latin word for race course, referring to the course of deeds and experiences through which children grow to become mature adults. A curriculum is prescriptive, and is based on a more general syllabus which merely specifies what topics must be understood and to what level to achieve a particular grade or standard. Curriculum has numerous definitions, which can be slightly confusing. In its broadest sense a curriculum may refer to all courses offered at a school. This is particularly true of schools at the university level, where the diversity of a curriculum might be an attractive point to a potential student.
A curriculum may also refer to a defined and prescribed course of studies, which students must fulfill in order to pass a certain level of education. For example, an elementary school might discuss how its curriculum, or its entire sum of lessons and teachings, is designed to improve national testing scores or help students learn the basics. An individual teacher might also refer to his or her curriculum, meaning all the subjects that will be taught during a school year.
Thus when we talk about computer study curriculum, we refer to in details the various course outlines that will be taught during the interaction section between a learner and the teacher. On the other hand, a high school might refer to a curriculum as the courses required in order to receive one’s diploma. They might also refer to curriculum in exactly the same way as the elementary school, and use curriculum to mean both individual courses needed to pass, and the overall offering of courses, which help prepare a student for life after high school.
Critique is a method of disciplined, systematic analysis of a written or oral discourse. Critique is commonly understood as fault finding and negative judgment, but it can also involve merit recognition, and in the philosophical tradition it also means a methodical practice of doubt. The contemporary sense of critique has been largely influenced by the Enlightenment critique of prejudice and authority, which championed the emancipation and autonomy from religious and political authorities. Critique is an accepted format of written and oral debate
Our critique of the computer study curriculum can be outline below;
1. Much work is place on the theory aspect without any practical knowledge as there were in adequate computers.
2. The school lack a modern ICT laboratory, so I wonder where they would get the require skills and manpower to teach and train the students.
3. The curriculum involves lots of outdoor practices, yet the school does not boast of any means of transportation.
4. The school lack basic electricity supply, so I asked the principal how they can be able to power the computer hardware with power.
5. No external examination is conducted on ICT or computer study curriculum programmes in the country, so how do we evaluate the performance of both student(s) and the teacher alike.
After carefully going through the school curriculum profile and discovered the above lapses, I therefore decided to recommend the following ideas in order to better the computer development of the secondary school.
1. The school should employ competent hand in the areas of ICT and computer science, so as to teach the students properly.
2. There should be a steady source of power to the school ICT laboratory
3. A new ICT laboratory that is fully equipped should be built for the secondary school.
4. Computers and other necessary gadgets should be provided in order to boast the moral of the students.
5. There should be government founded or assistance of well to do philanthropist who could help developed computer study in the secondary school.